AN ARTISTIC MANIFESTO
This is something I’ve been toying with for quite a while; some kind of articulation of the work I feel I’d like to do, on and off the page. For a long while I’ve been feeling as though I’m against so much it might be nice to clarify what I’m for… And also a little of what I don’t like too! So, this is my Artistic Manifesto, feel free to comment, or sign up if you agree, also using the comment box below. It might change some over time, but this is pretty much where I am right now…
I/we the undersigned, express my/our resolve to:
1. Remain committed to art in all its manifestations.
2. Dedicate my chosen art form to the sole purpose of a truthful depiction of the world from my perspective.
3. Shun all forms of artistic segregation, expecially those that are concerned with class, race, gender, religion, and/or culture.
4. Shun all forms of literary segregation on the basis of genre, or any of the above categories.
5. Pledge to use my art towards the betterment of humankind as a whole, rather than the individual.
6. Endeavour to infuse my life and work with a knowledge and respect for artistic/cultural traditions, no matter where those traditions hail from.
7. Reject all art that displays any agenda other than the equality of humankind.
8. Accept that the world cannot change without collective effort, and pledge to maintain the tenents of this manifesto even if they do not.
9. Pledge to challenge all art and artists that pander to a neo-colonial view of the world and all it’s cultures.
10. Reject the notion of fame and/or commercialism as an artistic goal. Rather, fame and wealth should come as a by-product of acheiving the above aims.
Courttia Newland 28/2/11